Monday, September 11, 2006

World's Greatest Job

Over the summer I had the most amazing job. I got to be a kids counselor for kids going into kindergarten through 3rd grade. The program is called Summer Day Camp; it is put on by College Station's school district. I worked from 8:30 a.m to 4:oo in the afternoon, monday through Friday. I got paid to play with kids all day! Twice a week and every other Friday we would take the kids to a public pool and go swimming for about two hours. Because of this is, I don't want to go to College Station's public pools for a really long time. Every Tuesday we took a field trip. We went to the Inner Space Caverns (caves), The Waco Zoo, The Sweet Berry Farm, to pick berries, and some in town places like the bowling ally, rollerskating, and to the movies; we didn't have to pay for any of it. The only bad part was that we had to go in the big yellow school bus, that was thankfully air conditioned, and we weren't aloud to sleep. We discovered quickly the best thing to do was sit by a kid that doesn't talk much and just wear sunglasses. It was really hard to stay awake when I was dripping with sweat on our way home from the zoo, and there was a two hour drive ahead of us with 85 kids (split into two buses). When we weren't on a field trip or at the pool we stayed at an elementary school. We had themed weeks where we would have to plan gym activities, crafts, and other crazy stuff to do that fit the theme. One of my weeks was Nickelodeon; I planned things like a shaving cream fight, a homemade slip n' slide, a food fight, etc... I had the best summer working. I met a lot of really sweet and cute kids and had some really awesome and crazy co-workers. I want to be an elementary school teacher so this was my perfect job.

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Last year I had a job through my school district in San Antonio as an afterschool assistant and I was in charge of the kindergarteners and I LOVED my job too! Are you majoring in elementary education?

Lyndsey said...

Yeah it really sucks, this whole moving on with my life thing. Im scared to have new friends and love my olds ones :-(. Yay for elem education majors!! And, yes it's Keane... only the most amazing band of all time.